Weight Watchers Points – 3
21 Day Fix – 1 Green, 1 Red
This ground turkey recipe is great because it has a lot of different uses, It is meant to be served on a large lettuce leaf, but it can be served inside of a whole wheat wrap with some cheese, or eaten plain!
Makes 6, one cup servings.
- 1-1/2 lbs raw 93% lean ground turkey breast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add turkey; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Add garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and oregano; mix well.
- Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add water and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 10-12 minutes.
- Top each lettuce leaf evenly with turkey mixture, tomato, and cilantro.
I was a little nervous when I first made this, because it looked extra soupy, and I thought “how am I going to be able to eat this inside of a lettuce wrap?”
But, after I cooked it for a while, it thinned out a bit. It was still soupy, but I imagined that I could use a slotted spoon to serve it.
I left it in the fridge and the next day it had thickened significantly. Not incredibly surprising, because the tomato sauce will be thicker when chilled. I liked it a lot that way, allowing me to serve it on top of a lettuce leaf, in a whole wheat wrap, on a bed of lettuce or spinach, or even on its own, emulating a chili!
If you’re interested in eating delicious foods like this while still losing weight, contact me about the 21 Day Fix; I’m a coach, and here to help you!