Makes 8 servings
A great spin on classic Mexican! Lose the taco shells, add quinoa, throw it in the oven, and viola! Mexican casserole.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 20oz 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- [optional] hot sauce
- [optional] chopped jalapeno
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside
- Add quinoa to 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for five minutes. Turn heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Cover quinoa and set aside.
- Sautee onion, garlic, and jalapeno over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add the ground turkey, breaking it up as it browns. Cook for about five minutes and add peppers. Cook for a few more minutes, until meat is no longer pink.
- Add lime juice, cumin, chili powder and cilantro.
- Remove from heat and add the quinoa to meat and veggie mixture. Add hot sauce to taste, and add 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese. Stir.
- Pour mixture into baking dish, top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling
This was super easy to make, and I was so happy that it made eight servings, I ate it all week! I really love mexican food, and when I crave it…it’s bad. This was great to have in the fridge so that I could easily put some on my plate, pop it in the microwave, and be ready to go.
If you’re interested in eating delicious foods like this while still losing weight, contact me about the 21 Day Fix; I’m a coach, and here to help you!