Weight Watchers Points Plus – 4
21 Day Fix – one green, one red
There are a lot of ways to modify this recipe, such as using chicken or tofu to sub for shrimp, garnishing with cheese or avocado, or serving it in lettuce wraps or a whole wheat tortilla! I love recipes that I can change up if I need to!
Makes four servings.
- 1 lb shrimp (cooked or uncooked; tails off)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- .5 tsp garlic powder
- .5 tsp ground cumin
- Cut green pepper and onion into strips. Place in a gallon-sized plastic bag.
- Add shrimp, after removing tails, to the bag.
- Add all spices, 1 tsp of olive oil, and lime juice to the bag.
- Push air out of the bag, and seal. Mix the contents of the bag.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Coat the bottom of a skillet with 1tsp of olive oil, bing to medium-high heat.
- Pour contents of the bag into the hot skillet, and cook until shrimp is pink, and vegetables are soft.
As a semi-lazy chef, I really liked this recipe! The prep took about 10 minutes, and overall cook time (minus the 15 minute-chill fest) took another 10, maximum. Plus, there was hardly any cleanup!
I decided to buy pre-cooked shrimp, only because it was cheaper than fresh, and pre-packaged into a 1lb bag. And, really, the rest of the ingredients were very inexpensive, or I already had it in my pantry.
When I started to cook the fajitas, it became very watery. I lowered the heat a little bit and covered the pan so that the peppers and onions would soften, but this method produced more liquid. After the veggies were soft, I chose to drain the extra liquid. I probably could have kept it and made it a sauce, but I let it go down the drain.
I chose to put my fajitas over a bed of spinach as a “Fajita Salad,” but this would also do inside of a wheat tortilla, on rice or quinoa, or even in a lettuce wrap. I topped my salad with a teaspoon of salsa, but you could also add avocado, cheese, or sour cream; whatever you choose!
If you’re interested in eating delicious foods like this while still losing weight, contact me about the 21 Day Fix; I’m a coach, and here to help you!