Commencement time is always exciting at Skidmore, but 2017 was extra special. All eyes were on the college after announcing that Oprah Winfrey would join author Wes Moore and philanthropist Ann Tisch to address the graduating class. With the extra attention, it was obvious that a robust social media engagement plan was required before, during, and after the exciting event.
Skidmore’s website featured content related to the graduating class during the week leading up to the ceremony on May 20, including “Meet the class,” “Throwback Thursday,” and “Future Friday.” This was shared on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Skidmore’s social media channels were buzzing with exciting content during the ceremony, including:
- Facebook Live of Wes Moore, Ann Tisch, and Oprah Winfrey which reached nearly 40,000 unique viewers and was shared over 440 times. At its peak, 904 viewers were simultaneously watching the feed. The video as of May 22, 2017 has been watched over 43,000 times.
- Instagram and Snapchat stories, covering the day. Each channel showed an authentic and energetic view of the day’s events. Both stories were viewed over 1,000 times.
- Continued messages of congratulations on Twitter and Instagram to graduates and families during the day.
- An updated social media stream, highlighting posts tagged with #Skidmore2017 or #Skid4Life.
- A Facebook photo album with beautiful photos from the event.